Summary of State & Local Stun Gun Laws
Updated July, 2021
We know that State & Local Stun Gun Laws can be confusing, and sometimes even contradictory. Furthermore, those laws are frequently changed, amended, or sometimes (more & more frequently) repealed.
As a matter of fact, we’ve recently seen several states and local jurisdictions abolish their restrictions on stunning devices.
To help you sort through this quagmire, we have compiled below a listing of states that currently have in effect any significant restrictions on the purchase, possession and carrying of stunning devices.
Although we believe our information is current at the time of this writing, it is beyond our scope to ensure that this summary of stun gun laws is completely accurate or up-to-date. As such, we make no claims whatsoever regarding the accuracy, currency, or applicability of these codes and statutes to your specific jurisdiction.
Please understand that this information is presented as a guideline only; it is up to you, the purchaser, to ultimately determine the legality of your purchase and usage of any item in accordance with State and Local Statutes.
States & Cities in which Stunning Devices Are Banned
We Can Not Ship to These Locations
- Rhode Island
- Chicago, IL
States with Restrictions on Stunning Devices
We Can Ship to These Locations if You Qualify
- District of Columbia ~ Must Be Over the Age of 18
- Illinois ~ Must Show Proof of a Valid FOID Card
- Maryland ~ Must Be Over the Age of 18, w/ No History of Violent Crime
- New Jersey ~ Must Be Over the Age of 21
- Wisconsin ~ Must Show Proof of a Valid CCW License
Listed below are the legal references and summary statements for the states and localities to which we cannot ship stunning devices.
Additionally, we have included some states where stun guns are legal and to which we can ship, because those states may have recently repealed bans on stun guns, or because there has been some confusion in the past regarding the status of a stun gun’s legality.
Legal References & Summary Statements
CONNECTICUT: Legal w/ Restrictions
– 2016 Connecticut General Statutes Title 53 – Crimes Chapter 943 – Offenses Against Public Peace and Safety Section 53-206 – Carrying of Dangerous Weapons Prohibited
SUMMARY: Possession of Stunning Devices Is Legal in Connecticut. However It Appears that Carrying One on Your Person (in Public) Is a Felony. There Is Currently No Permitting Process for Carrying a Stunning Device (§ 53-206a [“Application for Permit”] was repealed ).
We Can Ship Stunning Devices to Connecticut.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA: Legal w/ Restrictions
– 2019 District of Columbia Code
Title 7. HUMAN HEALTH CARE AND SAFETY
Chapter 25. Firearms Control
Subchapter II. Firearms and Destructive Devices
Section 7-2502.15. Possession of stun guns
(a) No person under 18 years of age shall possess a stun gun in the District; provided, that brief possession for self-defense in response to an immediate threat of harm shall not be a violation of this subsection.
(b) No person who possesses a stun gun shall use that weapon except in the exercise of reasonable force in defense of person or property.
(c) Unless permission specific to the individual and occasion is given, no person, except a law enforcement officer as defined in § 7-2509.01, shall possess a stun gun in the following locations:
(1) A building or office occupied by the District of Columbia, its agencies, or instrumentalities;
(2) A penal institution, secure juvenile residential facility, or halfway house;
(3) A building or portion thereof, occupied by a children’s facility, preschool, or public or private elementary or secondary school; or
(4) Any building or grounds clearly posted by the owner or occupant to prohibit the carrying of a stun gun.
SUMMARY: Possession of Stunning Devices Is Legal in the District of Columbia, for persons over 18; Possession and Usage for Civilians Restricted in Certain Locations.
We Can Ship Stunning Devices to the District of Columbia.
– 2019 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 10. PUBLIC SAFETY AND INTERNAL SECURITY
Section 134. Firearms, Ammunition and Dangerous Weapons
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person, including a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer, to possess, offer for sale, hold for sale, sell, give, lend, or deliver any electric gun.
(b) Any electric gun possessed, offered for sale, held for sale, sold, given, lent, or delivered in violation of subsection (a) shall be confiscated and disposed of by the chief of police.
SUMMARY: Possession and Sales of Stunning Devices Are Illegal in Hawaii.
We Can Not Ship Stunning Devices to Hawaii.
ILLINOIS: Legal w/ Restrictions
– 2019 Illinois Compiled Statutes
Chapter 430 – PUBLIC SAFETY
430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)
Section 2. Firearm Owners Identification Card Act
[Source ~ FOID Card]
Chapter 720 / Article 24 — Deadly Weapons
Section 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons
[Source ~ Unlawful Use of Weapons]
§ 2. Firearm Owner’s Identification Card Required
(a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm, stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner’s Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
§ 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
Ed. Note: § 24-1 then delineates an extremely lengthy list of illegal activities involving the possession, transporting and/or use of certain weapons, all of which seem to involve actual crimes, not just the possession of the weapon. So, In a nutshell, know your locality’s restrictions, and behave yourself.
SUMMARY: Possession of Stunning Devices Is Legal in Illinois, with Proof of a Valid FOID Card.
We Can Ship Stunning Devices to Illinois with Proof of a Valid FOID Card.
Please contact us for details.
MARYLAND: Legal w/ Restrictions
2017 Maryland Code
Title 4 – Weapon Crimes
Subtitle 1 – General Provisions
Section 4-109. Electronic control device
§ 4-109. Electronic Control Device
(b) Requirements for possession or use. —
A person may not possess or use an electronic control device unless the person:
(1) has attained the age of 18 years; and
(2) has never been convicted of a crime of violence or a violation of § 5-602, § 5-603, § 5-604, § 5-605, § 5-606, § 5-613, or § 5-614 of this article.
SUMMARY: Possession of Stunning Devices Is Legal in Maryland.
We Can Ship Stunning Devices to Maryland.
MASSACHUSETTS: Legal w/ Restrictions
– 2019 Massachusetts General Laws
Title 10. Public Safety and Good Order
Chapter 140. LICENSES
Section 131-J. Sale or Possession of Electrical Weapons; Penalties
§ 131-J. Sale or Possession of Electrical Weapons; Penalties
Sections 131 ¾, 131K and 131P shall not apply to stun guns. The secretary of public safety and security shall promulgate regulations restricting access or use of stun guns by non-licensed persons and establishing minimum safety and quality standards, safe storage requirements, education and safety training requirements and law enforcement training on the appropriate use of stun guns, which shall require that any stun gun purchased or used by a law enforcement or public safety official include a mechanism for tracking the number of times the stun gun has been fired.
SUMMARY: Possession and Sales of Stunning Devices Is Legal in Massachusetts. However, the owner of the stun gun needs a carry permit, and the stun gun must be secured in a locked container that only the person with that permit can access.
We Can Not Ship Stunning Devices to Massachusetts.
MICHIGAN: Legal w/ Restrictions
– 2019 Michigan Compiled Laws
Chapter 750 – Michigan Penal Code
Act 328 of 1931 THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (750.1 – 750.568)
328 – 1931 – XXXVII CHAPTER XXXVII FIREARMS
§ 750.224a. Portable device or weapon directing electrical current, impulse, wave, or beam; sale or possession prohibited; …
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not sell, offer for sale, or possess in this state a portable device or weapon from which an electrical current, impulse, wave, or beam may be directed, which current, impulse, wave, or beam is designed to incapacitate temporarily, injure, or kill.
(2) This section does not prohibit any of the following:
(a) The possession and reasonable use of a device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology by a peace officer, or by any of the following individuals if the individual has been trained in the use, effects, and risks of the device, and is using the device while performing his or her official duties:
[ed. note: long list of approved professionals & individuals]
(b) The possession and reasonable use of a device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology by an individual who holds a valid license to carry a concealed pistol under section 5b of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425, and who has been trained under subsection (5) in the use, effects, and risks of the device.
(4) A person who violates subsection (1) is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.
(5) An authorized dealer or other person who sells a device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology to an individual described in subsection (2)(b) shall verify the individual’s identity and verify that the individual holds a valid concealed pistol license issued under section 5b of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425b, and shall provide to the individual purchasing the device, at the time of the sale, training on the use, effects, and risks of the device.
A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 30 days or a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.
SUMMARY: Stunning Devices are legal for peace officers (and other certain professions), and for civilians who hold a valid license to carry a concealed pistol, and who have been trained in the proper use of the stunning device.
At the time of sale, the seller must verify that the individual holds a valid concealed pistol license, and the seller must provide training on the use, effects, and risks of the device.
We Can Not Ship Stunning Devices to Michigan.
NEW JERSEY: Legal w/ Restrictions
– 2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 2C. New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice
Section 39-3. Prohibited Weapons and Devices
State of New Jersey Assembly No. 5293
Introduced December 14, 2017
An Act concerning stun guns and amending N.J.S.2C:39-3 and N.J.S.2C:39-9.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. N.J.S.2C:39-3 is amended to read as follows:
2C: §39-3. Prohibited Weapons and Devices
h. Stun guns. A person who is under 21 years of age shall not purchase, barter, or otherwise possess a stun gun. Any person under 21 years of age who knowingly has in his possession any stun gun is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.
3. This act shall take effect immediately.
STATEMENT [from the Assembly]: This bill authorizes persons who are 21 years of age or older to purchase, sell, or possess stun guns.
SUMMARY: Sales and Possession of Stunning Devices Are Legal in New Jersey for Persons Over 21 Years Old.
We Can Ship Stunning Devices to New Jersey.
NEW YORK: Legal
– 2017 New York Laws Ammended 2019
PEN – Penal / Part 3 – SPECIFIC OFFENSES
Title P – OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC SAFETY
Article 265 – FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS WEAPONS
§ 265.20 Summary of Provisions
Section 1 of the bill amends subdivision a of Section 265.20 of the Penal Law to add two new paragraphs 17 and 18.
Paragraph 17 adds an exemption under the Penal Law to allow for the possession of an electronic dart gun or electronic stun gun for personal protection or the protection of a person’s property, and for the use of such weapons under circumstances which would justify the use of physical force pursuant to Article 35 of the Penal Law.
Such exemption would not apply to a person who is less than eighteen years of age, has been previously convicted in New York State of a felony or any assault, or has been convicted of a crime outside of New York State which if committed in New York State would constitute a felony or any assault crime.
SUMMARY: Possession of Stunning Devices Is Legal in New York.
We Can Ship Stunning Devices to New York.
RHODE ISLAND: Illegal
– 2019 Rhode Island General Laws
Title 11 – Criminal Offenses
Chapter 11-47 – Weapons
Chapter 11-47-42 – Weapons Other Than Firearms Prohibited
§ 11-47-42 Weapons Other Than Firearms Prohibited
(a) (1) No person shall carry or possess or attempt to use against another any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slingshot, billy, sandclub, sandbag, metal knuckles, slap glove, bludgeon, stun-gun, or the so called “Kung-Fu” weapons.
Any person violating the provisions of these subsections shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both, and the weapon so found shall be confiscated.
SUMMARY: Possession of Stunning Devices Is Illegal in Rhode Island.
We Can Not Ship Stunning Devices to Rhode Island.
WISCONSIN: Legal w/ Restrictions
– 2019 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 941. Crimes Against Public Health and Safety
Section 941.295 Possession of Electric Weapon
§ 941.295 Possession of Electric Weapon
(1c) In this section:
(a) “Electric weapon” means any device which is designed, redesigned, used or intended to be used, offensively or defensively, to immobilize or incapacitate persons by the use of electric current.
(b) “Licensee” has the meaning given in § 175.60 (1) (d).
[ed note: (d) “Licensee” means an individual holding a valid license to carry a concealed weapon issued under this section.]
(c) “Out-of-state licensee” has the meaning given in § 175.60 (1) (g).
[ed note: (g) “Out-of-state licensee” means an individual who is 21 years of age or over, who is not a Wisconsin resident, and who has been issued an out-of-state license.]
(1m) Whoever sells, transports, manufactures, possesses or goes armed with any electric weapon is guilty of a Class H felony.
(2) Subsection (1m) does not apply to any of the following:
1. A person specified in pars. (a) to (c), a licensee, or an out-of-state licensee.
2. A person for use in his or her dwelling or place of business or on land that he or she owns, leases, or legally occupies.
(2g) The prohibition in sub. (1m) on possessing or going armed with an electric weapon does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A licensee or an out-of-state licensee.
(b) An individual who goes armed with an electric weapon in his or her own dwelling or place of business or on land that he or she owns, leases, or legally occupies.
(2r) The prohibition in sub. (1m) on transporting an electric weapon does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A licensee or an out-of-state licensee.
(b) An individual who is not a licensee or an out-of-state licensee who transports an electric weapon if the electric weapon is enclosed within a carrying case.
SUMMARY: Possession of Stunning Devices is Legal in Wisconsin, for peace officers (and some other professions), and for civilians holding a valid license to carry a concealed weapon.
We Can Ship Stunning Devices to Wisconsin Residents with Proof of a Valid Permit to Carry a Concealed Weapon.
Please Contact Us for Details.
City & County Restrictions
Chicago, IL: Illegal
[source — need info on City of Chicago ordinance]
Publisher’s Note: The following jurisdictions require waiting periods or notifications to law enforcement officials before weapons may be delivered to purchasers: Chicago – application approval/denial for: (1) Registration : 120 days (2) Re-registration: e.g., by an heir, 365 days)
SUMMARY: Possession and Sales of Stunning Devices Are Banned in the City of Chicago, IL.
We Can Not Ship Stunning Devices to the City of Chicago, IL.
New York City, NY: Illegal
– Administrative Code of the City of New York
Section 10-135 – Prohibition on Sale and Possession of Electronic Stun Guns.
[source — need info on City of New York ordinance]
b. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sale or to have in his or her possession within the jurisdiction of the city any electronic gun.
c. Violation of this section shall be a class A misdemeanor.
Exemptions under this section are provided for police officers operating under regular department procedures or guidelines and for manufacturers of electronic stun guns scheduled for bulk shipment.
SUMMARY: Possession and Sales of Stunning Devices Are Banned in New York City.
We Can Not Ship Stunning Devices to New York City.
- KnightOwlSurvivalStore is not responsible for any physical harm or damage from the use or misuse of any self-defense weapons purchased from us, including, but not limited to, Stun Guns, Tasers, Batons, Pepper Sprays, and Knives.
- By purchasing a self-defense weapon from us, you understand and acknowledge that KnightOwlSurvivalStore does not warrant that you may legally purchase, possess, or carry these products according to any state or local laws. You also acknowledge that you have determined their legality before purchasing and that you are an adult of at least 18 years of age and under no legal disability.
- By purchasing a self-defense weapon from us, the buyer warrants that he/she is in compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations regarding the purchase, ownership and use of the item. The buyer expressly agrees to indemnify and hold harmless KnightOwlSurvivalStore for any claims resulting directly or indirectly from the purchase, ownership and use of such item in compliance with, or in violation of, any federal, state or local laws or regulations.
- It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser to comply with all local, state and federal laws or statues pertaining to the possession and/or use of any of the products we sell. Please check your current local laws before ordering any self-defense weapon from us.
While we do not agree with any legislation that infringes on a person’s right to self-protection, by whatever means he or she is most comfortable with, we are required to abide by these restrictions, however inane they might be.