Federal, State & Local Laws ~ Recording Devices
Updated July, 2021
We know that Federal, State & Local codes and statutes can be confusing, and sometimes even contradictory. Furthermore, those laws are frequently changed, amended, or sometimes even repealed.
Therefore, we must state that it is the sole responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that the purchase and/or possession of any of our surveillance products is in compliance with any and all Federal, State and/or Local regulations.
We provide the following as a very general guideline concerning the purchase, ownership and use of covert surveillance equipment:
- In most states, hidden video surveillance is legal, so long as it is not done in an area where reasonable privacy is expected. These areas include, but are not limited to, bathrooms, bedrooms and dressing rooms.
- In most states video surveillance does not require the consent of the parties involved.
- In some states, the use of audio recording or surveillance requires the consent of at least one, and sometimes all, of the parties involved.
- There also may be various State or Local Laws regulating the use, and possession, of some types of audio surveillance equipment.
- We recommend that you check all Federal, State and Local Laws regarding the use of video cameras with or without audio.